The deadline to register or renew health insurance plans for 2021 has passed. Nevertheless, you might be able to get health insurance for the rest of 2021 if you qualify for a SEP or Special Enrollment Period. Read more to learn three essential things about the Special Enrollment Period and its application process.
1) Certain Life Events That Qualify You For SEP
- If your life circumstances change, such as losing health insurance, having a baby, or getting married, you may be eligible for the Special Enrollment Period. You can get the complete list of life events by contacting your insurance agent.
- You are required to answer some quick questions to check your eligibility for this program through insurance shopping.
2) You Only Have A Limited Time To Enroll
- Typically, you have around 60 days after the specific life event to enroll in a health plan.
- If you don’t act quickly, you need to wait for the next Open Enrollment Period, which extends from November 1 to December 15, 2021, to enroll in the 2022 coverage plan.
3) You May Be Required To Submit Documents To Prove Your Eligibility
- Based on your life event, you might be required to submit documents that confirm your eligibility to enroll in the Special Enrollment Period.
- You must send these reports to your marketplace company before using your health insurance coverage.
Check out InsuranceShopping and learn more about obtaining coverage outside the Open Enrollment.