Well-wishes on your new family member! If you recently had a child or adopted a baby, you might be eligible for a SEP (Special Enrollment Period). This means you can sign up or change your Marketplace plan even if Open Enrollment has ended. Your new coverage can begin on the day of the birth or adoption, even if you register in the health insurance up to 60 days later.
How to apply for a health plan with Special Enrollment Period
- If you are new to the Marketplace plan, you can buy insurance coverage through Insurance Shopping.
- Also, you can preview 2021 plans and costs based on your earnings before applying.
Other life changes that may be eligible
- Having a child isn’t the only life event that qualifies you for a Special Enrollment Period. Changes in coverage and household income are also counted.
- Answer some questions about your life event to check your eligibility for SEP.
- You can also see the complete list of qualifying life events.