Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) are providing free or low-cost health coverage to millions of Americans. If you qualify for these programs, you can begin receiving coverage at any time of the year.
Who is eligible?
- Medicaid and CHIP give health coverage to qualifying children, parents, pregnant women, the elderly with specified income levels, and persons with disabilities in all states.
- Many states have expanded Medicaid to include all adults earning less than a particular amount of money.
- Enter your household income and size to check whether you qualify, and we’ll let you know if extended Medicaid coverage for persons in your income range is available in your state.
- Even if a family’s income is too high to qualify for Medicaid, their children may be eligible for CHIP.
What is the procedure for applying?
- You can apply for Medicaid or CHIP on the Marketplace or through your state’s Medicaid or CHIP agency. For contact information for your Medicaid agency, select your state.
- If it appears that anyone in your family qualifies for Medicaid or CHIP, we’ll send your information to your state agency when you fill out an application through the Health Insurance Marketplace. They’ll get in touch with you about enrolling.
Get additional information
Learn about Medicaid and CHIP, as well as how to apply.