Now that the August 15 registration deadline has passed due to the 2019 Coronavirus (COVID19) emergency conditions, you can only obtain or change your 2021 health coverage if you have a life event that qualifies you for the SEP (Special Enrollment Period).
What Life Events Make You Eligible for the Special Enrollment Period?
- A change in your circumstances, such as having a baby, moving, getting married, or losing health coverage, may qualify you for the Special Enrollment Period. View the complete list of life events.
- Not sure you have qualifying life events? To find out, answer some quick questions.
- Depending on the type of SEP (Special Enrollment Period), you typically have 60 days before or after the event to sign up or change a health plan.
- If your life event qualifies you for CHIP (Children’s Health Insurance Program) and Medicaid, you can apply for these programs right away.
How to Apply for Health Insurance With a Special Enrollment Period
- If you are eligible for a Special Enrollment Period, you can buy a new health insurance plan through Insurance Shopping for the rest of 2021.
- You might be asked to provide documents to confirm the life event that qualifies you.
If you are not eligible to apply during the Special Enrollment Period for the remainder of the 2021 year, you can apply for a 2022 insurance coverage from November 1 to December 15, 2021.