If you or your family will be relocating soon (or have recently relocated), you may be eligible for a Special Enrollment Period to enrol in health insurance. Even though Open Enrollment is over, you may be able to enroll in Marketplace health insurance that covers you for the rest of 2021.
What types of moves are acceptable?
- Relocating to a new home in a new ZIP code or county
- Moving to the United States from another country or a U.S. territory
- A student relocating to or from their school
- A seasonal worker relocating to or from their place of employment
- Relocating to or from a shelter or other temporary housing
It doesn’t count if you’re merely moving for medical reasons or to go on vacation.
Use a Special Enrollment Period to apply
Make a new account or sign in to one you already have to apply for Marketplace coverage for the rest of 2021 during a Special Enrollment Period. You may be requested to supply documentation to validate your move when you apply.
It’s worth noting that moving isn’t the only life event that qualifies you to enrol in a plan outside of the Open Enrollment Period. If you’ve experienced other life events, such as getting married, having or adopting a child, or losing coverage from a job, you might be eligible. To check if you qualify, answer a few questions.